09 September 2014

Streetdeal $88 membership fee (quarterly) - beware!

To whom this may benefit.  
Be a Streetdeal premium member at your own risks.  
There are many other websites to buy e-coupon/voucher.  Nobody would think there is a membership fee levied quarterly.  This was tagged under Terms and Conditions.  There's no prompt or a check box to indicate you are fully aware that by becoming a premium member, you need to pay S$88 x 4 (quarterly), each year.

I have browsed online and quite surprised there are people who noticed abnormality after being deducted twice.... more blur than me.  $88 is not a small sum of money to me so my eyes won't miss this in my monthly credit card statement.


This was my email to Streetdeal.  cc POSBank 

To:  Streetdeal
I tried to ring your office after receiving an unauthorised charging of $88 but an automated voice message stated your office is closed on 23 Aug 2014.  Frantically, I browsed online after being 'kicked' by POSBank, saw many complaints (click to read: Yahoo and Facebook) about your company unauthorised charging and shocked to notice you're closed on Saturday but active in charging me and posting updates on your StreetDeal Facebook.

Do you think I must be a premium member in order to get a miserable 20% discount?  
You think I cannot afford to pay your published normal price of $6 + $2.50 = $$8.50?  
Have not encountered any other website which has an online purchase with an expensive hidden clause.  Nobody enjoys being tricked.

My sms alert showed $6.80 was deducted (after 20% discount) for my first transaction with your company on 21 Aug.  This 20% deduction was by default and I thought it was a welcome discount.  There's no prompt of your hidden clause!  Your dishonest $88 membership came as a default, after transaction went through but I didn't know.  I have not opened below email which showed your 'explanation' of trial.  I only opened it, READ it with shock after I came back from police station.

You didn't make an effort to inform customer with big prints.  Below automated transaction show subject "Your deal Voucher"  not "Streetdeal membership fee".  When creating an account, I wasn't alerted of your unusual business tactic.  I was caught off guard.  I don't think anybody, informed clearly at the POINT of TRANSACTION would be willing to pay $88 each quarter to become a member.  This cost much more than any credit card annual fee.

On 23 Aug, immediately after receiving sms alert from POSBank, I rang its customer service to find out what happened.  Posbank was pointing you as the company with unauthorised transaction.  I do not want to use Streetdeal's services so I am requesting POSBank not to pay you $6.80 + $88, verbally and by this email.  Cancel my account immediately and give me back all my money if you've taken.  I have not used below vouchers.



POSBank
If you disregard my instruction and don't act in customer's interest, do note that I've made a police report and whatsoever amount you released to Streetdeal should be none of my business.  This is considered THIEFT/FRAUD!  

Do not find excuse to say I must communicate with Streetdeal.  Once I saw this unauthorised deduction, I've reported to POSBank, as per your sms message "If you did not use the card, pls call +65 6327 2265".  There have been many online complaints since Oct 2013 that Streetdeal doesn't refund promptly and avoiding phone calls.  I hope you won't give me hassle or intentionally leave me in the lurch.  
Thanks for providing on-time alert that 'awakened me'.  This service is fantastic, much better than other credit card companies which has a minimum transaction amount before automatic sms will be sent to customers.  I like your sms service and my Everyday mastercard! 


Email from Streetdeal after I made my first transaction on 21 Aug (I didn't click open.  My habit is to open when I intend to redeem the e-voucher).



Login today to Streetdeal and found 'Suspended', clicked ? and was prompted with 'cancel subscription' box.  I didn't cancel because Streetdeal didn't reply when they are paying back my money.  

$88 is deducted every quarterly which means I have about 2.5 months to get things settled, cancel Streetdeal account and end whatsoever membership fee from may occur.

Seriously, I don't know with a police report, would POSbank stop issuing my money to them.  I know the terms to hold a credit card is to consumer's disadvantage.  For example, I wanted a particular credit card to lower my credit limit but they said I can't set to $1000 or $500.  When I requested sms alert for all my purchases, one said sms alert will only be sent after hitting a certain amount, two said it is unnecessary to put a cap because if my card is lost and I have reported to the police timely, the bank will only charge me the minimal ie $100.  I didn't spend, didn't get to enjoy the buys but I am still liable to pay a certain 'minimal amount'.  This is the bank's so-call customer's protection and care.  

By the way, if you own a credit card, paying minimal instead of full amount will incur very high interest + finance fee.  I had two blur instances.  First, I forgot the actual amount so I underpaid by $14 and was charged bank finance fee of about $55. Another case was, I have 2 cards issued by the same bank, I overpaid the other and overlooked the outstanding card.  Both cases, the bank surcharge fee was more than what I owed/swiped.  I told the customer service officers, you mean I don't have money to pay?  Look at my past record, prompt payments.  Why the bank doesn't look at the customer's actual spending and levy just at token finance fee?  Posbank Everyday card T&C indicted no $55 late charge fee will be imposed if credit card bill is below $50.  

I am not owing like hundreds so why banks are so desperate to earn? I heard banks prefer customers to run into 'overdraft' or don't pay in full so as to earn 24% interest and finance fee.  I believe it is true... easy money!

Both instances, I had my finance fee waived.  I am trying to hold lesser credit cards.  If there are road shows with free vouchers or $80 cash rebate, I'll apply and compare.   I don't like free gifts because most don't suit me. If my old cards are no good, I'll terminate in order to flatten my wallet.  




Streetdeal has a simplified Sign-up page.  No indication of membership fee.
When you purchase a deal or click anything showing Premium, there wasn't any prompt of paying $88 per quarterly.  If Streetdeal really intend to be honest, such an important point shouldn't be hidden in its Terms & Conditions.  

How many of you read T&C?  When you sign up for credit cards, insurance, hire a maid, etc, do you fill up the forms/papers and submit or take your time to read the T&C in depth before you pay?  


Facebook comments:


Streetdeal scam, reported by Yahoo in Oct 2013
Over 200 customers of StreetDeal Singapore, a website selling deal vouchers for consumer goods and services, have complained on the company’s Facebook page that they had unwittingly been charged on their credit cards with premium membership of at least $99 annually.

Many of the complaining customers claimed they had been tricked into paying for the membership due to the way information was presented on the site.

On the Facebook page for the deal "40% off Boyfriend's Shirt Ladies Sleepwear (20 Designs)”, a Katherine Chen commented, "I tried to make a false buy and I see that the price is always defaulted to premium price! You have to be careful and manually select the non-premium price. Cheap trick. I want my 9.90 back and I will gladly pay u that 10% discount back!!"

Those who complained are also demanding refunds and have been waiting longer than the promised seven working days for their money back.  

Many customers also said that they have not been getting a reply and are urging the company to respond to calls and emails. 

In an email to Yahoo! Singapore, a Streetdeal Singapore spokesperson said, “Yes, we did receive some complaints regarding this service but it's perfectly within acceptable range (less than 5 per cent).”

He first explained that a premium membership “provides our premium customers with an additional 10 per cent discount on all deals, this membership is charged either $9.90 per month or $99 per year.”

During point of purchase, he said that customers are offered to “try” the premium membership service for 48 hours. 

“Premium charges are clearly stated twice on the payment page, first in the offer itself, second in the legal T&Cs right before customer confirm their purchase,” he added in response to the premium price option on the payment page, that is automatically selected and customers need to manually choose the non-premium price in order to not get roped into their membership.

However, customers tend to forget this step and proceed with purchase at a "premium member price" which is discounted.

“Customers might not pay attention to the offer when they purchase a deal; at no moment the offer is misleading,” he said. "They can unsubscribe without any charge in one simple click in their account.”

"If you require a refund, no questions will be asked we will process refund within seven working days,” he added.


StreetDeal Singapore is a subsidiary of Asia Deal Group, which has offices in Indonesia, Malaysia, Sri Lanka and Thailand.



Received Streetdeal's email on 26 Aug morning claiming they didn't charge me.  Below was sent in the afternoon-same day:








I received this in my spam mail folder on 9 Sep.  Looks like not just StreetDeal is having membership.  

This online site is very clear about membership.  If anybody claimed they missed out .... I would say this is hard to miss because it is not hidden in a hyperlink for Terms and Conditions, eg StreetDeals.  The place they posted the sweet deal also tells you about the catch for a $1 deal.

The VIP membership is renewed every 30 days, which means $34.90 each month.


  

What is ShoppingDeal about?
ShoppingDeal is the first membership site for deals, discounts and promotions where you can for only $34.90 per month save up to $140 every month.

How can ShoppingDeal help me?
ShoppingDeal is a website that keeps you updated with good deals offered by online retailers. No need to shop around the various internet websites to look for amazing offers. ShoppingDeal does this for you by putting them all together in one homepage. Each week you will receive the best offers available at the time.

How much does a VIP membership to ShoppingDeal cost?
If you subscribe to ShoppingDeal's welcome offer, you are authorising Ten Media Pte Ltd to charge you $1 to benefit both from a gift and a VIP access for a trial period of 72 hours. At the end of this trial period, your membership shall be renewed every 30 days, and you shall be charged $34.90.

Is my payment secure?
We are working with AsiaPay, one of the leading service providers for online payments. Once you are on our payment page, you will notice that the URL is https and that a padlock appears at the bottom right of the screen in your navigation window. These two signs mean that you are now in a secure environment. The connection is SSL encrypted.

Do I have to subscribe for a fixed period?
No, VIP membership has no ongoing obligation. You can unsubscribe from ShoppingDeal whenever you like by following the procedure in our Terms of Use. However, by unsubscribing, you will lose all the advantages that come with ShoppingDeal



update on 18 Sep 2014
Streetdeal fined for selling travel packages without valid licence, Channel News Asia
Streetdeal Singapore Pte Ltd has been fined a total of S$25,000 for carrying on the business of a travel agent without a valid licence, as well as helping another unlicensed travel agent with its business.

In a statement on Wednesday (Sep 17), the Singapore Tourism Board (STB) said that Streetdeal was previously a licensed travel agent from Oct 4, 2011 to Dec 31, 2012, after which Streetdeal chose not to renew its licence.

Regular enforcement checks by the STB found that Streetdeal was continuing its business as a travel agent from March to August 2013, despite not having a valid travel agent licence. The STB also found that Streetdeal had advertised and sold packages offered by an unlicensed travel agent, AbsolutInspira, from March to May 2012.

The STB said that it adopts a serious view against errant travel agents and will not hesitate to take necessary action to protect consumers and safeguard the reputation of Singapore's tourism sector.

3 comments:

  1. Anyone manage to get refund in cash or credit card instead of streetdeal credit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am another victim and they refused to give refund in cash/credit card

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the latest victim.
    ISSUE: From May 2015 till Nov 2016, they have deducted S$1072.42 in 12 different transactions between S$85-90 twice every quarter.

    STEPS TAKEN:
    1.a. Debit card Cancelled my bank card
    1.b. Reported to bank and bank told me that as per the policy from VISA, they will only try to negotiate the transactions which are mode within 60 days of fraud reported.
    2. Emailed streetdeals.sg:
    a. Their reply was that I have agreed to their terms and conditions to become a premium member while purchasing two coupons of S$6.85 and S$11.69. I have purchased their coupons and was not able to use them.
    I did not visit their website after May 2015 because of my experience and forgot about it.
    b. Their second reply was they have deducted S$90.46 only once per quarter. They stoppped replying me once I sent them my bank statements.
    3. They provided a hotline number which did not work.
    4. I visited their registered office in 120, Robinson Road, #150-01. They have rented some desks from a company JUST CO. They do not even have a nameplate in their registered office address.TO my surprise the receptionist from JUSTCO told me that no one is available from streetdeal now and she will call me back when someone is available and not to come back again unless I have an appointment.

    I don't know now how to recover this much amount from them. In my life I have booked budget airlines more than 50 times and was always able to untick all their offers. I was frustrated with myself that how can I miss unticking this check box. After looking at this blog I am 100% sure that they trick people.


    Please suggest a way to get the money back. Life is too short to waste time for this crap. But, not pursuing this is an injustice to me and 100s of future innocent people.

    ReplyDelete

If anybody wants to share his/her experience, you may post as Comment or email me.